Neonatal Emergency Simulated Team Training
a multi-professional team training course for professionals working with sick neonates
Case scenarios are based on actual transfers from London NTS and the course is facilitated by experienced faculty. Participants will be able to gain insights into teamwork, human factors and CRM.
- Course Director Dr Syed Mohinuddin, Consultant Neonatologist
- Experienced multi-professional faculty
We aim to improve participants confidence in dealing with neonatal emergencies working in a team
What will I gain: insights into the impact of Human factors and Crisis resource management and their application in clinical emergencies
What we can offer you: an effective team learning environment to achieve course objectives
Implications for Practice: confidence in management of neonatal emergencies, networking and sharing of good practice
Upcoming NESTT courses
Stabilisation and Transfer of the Acutely unwell Neonate
a new training course specially developed to teach and embed the theoretical understanding and practical skills needed for a safe and efficient neonatal transfer
STAN is the only dedicated and openly available neonatal transport course in England and has had a first year of sell-out courses and positive feedback from all involved. Following three successful courses in 2018-2019 we have updated and improved our content based on feedback from delegates and faculty ready for the new academic year.
STAN Course is suitable for:
- neonatal consultants and paediatric consultants with a neonatal interest
- ST4+ paediatric and neonatal grid trainees
- senior nurses with strong neonatal ITU experience
The course takes a structured approach to developing or updating your neonatal transport skills. Those new to transport will find that the course follows a logical progression from theory, via practical learning, ending and consolidating with high definition simulated scenarios. Those with transport experience will benefit from reviewing their background knowledge and honing their skills as part of the simulated team.
Lectures and group discussions
- background to transfer: the role of neonatal transport teams in the UK
- physics of transfer: movement, noise, vibration and their risks to the infant
- psychology of transfer: human factors and CRM
- logistics of transfer: making it happen
- ventilation and airway troubleshooting
- thermoregulation and therapeutic cooling
- packaging and moving to the transport incubator
- clinical hot cases: PPHN, Cooling, Extreme Preterm
- planning and undertaking a repatriation transfer for your own unit
- high-definition clinical simulation within a real ambulance
- simulated ambulance environment with high-definition simcubator transport system
- simulated resuscitation room environment
- in-ambulance vehicle safety scenarios
- high quality debrief with experienced instructors
If you would like to view a sample timetable for a typical course, please use the link below. The course is continuously updated based on feedback from delegates, so there may be changes and improvements when you attend the course.
Booking STAN course
We are keeping course numbers to 24 people in order to provide high quality simulation which is difficult to achieve with larger numbers. If you are keen to take part and have not been able to get a place, please contact us to join the reserve list and hear about new dates as soon as they open up.
If you would like to organise a STAN course for your team or unit, please contact us to discuss.